The class employs interactive small groups and stations to develop self-confidence and social awareness.
Students discuss topics ranging from jealousy to ethics to friendship. Each student writes and gives an acceptance speech. They work in teams for many activities, such as setting a table, learning how to tip, give a toast, tie a necktie, and shine shoes. They also review American-style eating to prepare for a four course dinner in the spring. Students learn basic ballroom dancing in preparation for the Spring Ball.
What This Class Teaches
- Social Skills
- Building Relationships
- Basic Ballroom Dancing
- Winter social event the first weekend in December.
- Spring Ball the first weekend in March.
- Life Skills Dinner the second weekend in March.
Burlingame / San Mateo
- Section A - Tuesdays 7:30pm - 9:00pm: 9/7, 10/5, 11/2, Christmas Ball Sunday 12/5 3:00 pm - 6:00 pm
- Section B - Tuesdays 7:30pm - 9:00pm: 9/21, 10/19, 11/16, Christmas Ball Sunday 12/5 3:00 pm - 6:00 pm
- Section A - Thursdays 7:30pm - 9:00pm: 9/9, 10/7, 11/4, Christmas Ball Sunday 12/5 3:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m.
- Section B - Thursdays 7:30pm - 9:00pm: 9/23, 10/21, 11/18, Christmas Ball Sunday 12/5 3:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m.